Monday, March 12, 2012

Sike...We're Not Done Here.

I originally intended to stop the updates here, but my prior prognosis was incorrect. My doctors believe they know what's wrong now.

I saw a neurologist to help me figure out what's wrong with me neurologically. Seeing that I had a history of thyroid disease, naturally she wanted to take a blood sample. I've been through a lot of testing, but this far, they are still not positive what's wrong in that department; MS has been a hypothesis, though I am not informed or qualified enough to agree nor disagree. I am, however, getting progressively worse and I have problems with walking and can no longer stand up straight.

Cut to my second neurology appointment. She informs me that my brain MRI and EEG were normal, but then says, "Your thyroid is elevated. Has this ever happened to you?" I guess she asked because I guess was not clear enough when I mentioned thyroid disease. So she decided to run a complete thyroid panel on me. It looks like I probably have Graves' disease, which explains why my hyperthyroidism has not quit for the past year. And I know it probably only gets worse from here, but I am hesitant to seek treatment; yes, I can't stand the heat intolerance, the palpitations, the hair loss, the overactive bowels/bladder...but I also do not want to become a Fatty McFatticus. I am now a size 6 and I weigh 129; a year ago, I was at least 160 and wore a 14. I am well aware that I don't look or feel well. But with a history of anorexia, naturally I am deathly afraid of getting fat. I know better than to starve myself but I still want to keep my fast metabolism. Sigh. I just can't win sometimes.

Despite these issues, I have a very different outlook on life than I used to. I have learned to just be happy I'm alive and can experience the world in my own unique way. I've become bubbly and laid-back and I can't wait to get outside and discover the world around me. Yes, I'm sick, but I refuse to let my illnesses run my life. They do not define who I am as a person and I can go out and be productive and happy. I know things will be harder, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? I think so. I am proud to end this entry on a happy note. I'll update again soon. :D

2 comments:

  1. thanks for posting about your thyroid condition. In order to diagnose you with Grave's disease you must have the following
    a) TSI antibodies present in the blood;
    b) high RAI uptake
    Hyperthyroidism itself does not necessary means Grave's.
    What is the size of your thyroid swelling and have you had an ultrasound?
    Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for reading :) Thank you for telling me a little more about diagnostic criteria; I have not seen my doctor since but I plan to in the next week or two. Graves' was suggested due to the duration of my hyperthyroidism and a strong family history of Graves' (which I found out about later.) I have had a few ultrasounds; I have some swelling going on but I am not sure to what extent. I also have several small nodules that have proven to be benign. I have heard that nearly everyone has nodules and that they are completely normal; then again this came from an endocrinologist who told me that this would all blow over and it didn't. But thankfully I have grown to understand what doctor's say a little bit better. Thanks again for reading and let me know if you have any more questions.

      Delete